Issues with ServiceNow OOB Reporting
Like many Enterprise Application vendors, ServiceNow provides limited OOB reporting and analytics. Reasons for this include:
- the complexity of enabling true Business Intelligence capabilities with a transactional platform
- lack of investment in OOB capabilities as a result of trying to up-sell customers Performance Analytics (a complex and costly offering that cannot compete against the current generation of BI tools)
- the targeted end user base are customers with bare minimum reporting requirements are focussed onoperations, as opposed to analytics, investigation, performance measurement, visualisation, etc.
Common problems customers have with ServiceNow OOB reporting.
- Complex selection mechanism requiring knowledge of underlying ServiceNow table structures
- Inability to join tables
- Limitations in terms of presenting multiple tables/graphs in a single report
- Reliance on pre-defined metrics as the calculation capabilities required are not available in the report builder
- Limited formatting, subscription and data exporting capabilities
- Inability to report on audit logs and history
- Not possible to incorporate external data
ServiceNow Performance Analytics
Where we see Performance Analytics been used?
A focus on ITSM operational metrics/scorecards, as opposed to management metrics. Customers don’t have ready access to enterprise BI software or SQL resources. ‘Pull’ based reporting metaphor e.g. PA dashboards are ‘pulled’ from ServiceNow and then ‘pushed’ into other dashboards (PPT, XLS, etc). Resources/teams dedicated to measurement of ITSM metrics. Large ServiceNow implementations with multiple ‘administrative’ ServiceNow resources.
Issues customers report regarding Performance Analytics.
Very high TCO. Whilst ServiceNow will provide free short-term usage of limited capabilities, the real cost of licensing, implementation and ongoing maintenance is significantly higher than external analytics solutions. Complex to implement, maintain and use. An often cited fact is that it requires dedicated resources. Most metrics are only updated daily. Lacks many of the features of modern enterprise BI tools e.g. PowerBI, Tableau. Unclear roadmap. Many leading ServiceNow Partners, e.g. Fruition, do not actively sell or implement Performance Analytics, thus making it difficult to obtain the consulting expertise required.
Why use Metricus?
Why Metricus is a preferred choice compared to Performance Analytics and Service Now OOB Reporting.
- Full suite of business intelligence and performance measurements capabilities (visualisation/analytics, enterprise reporting and scorecards).
- Built on the #1 Business Intelligence Platform (SQL Server Reporting Services and PowerBI).
- Data is extracted in near real-time, into the Metricus ServiceNow datamart and optimised for reporting and analytical purposes.
- Ability to readily incorporate additional data sources and enrich ServiceNow data.
- Ability to extract data using corporate reporting/BI software.
- Experts in ITSM and IT Enterprise metrics and reporting.
- Significantly Lower Total Cost of Ownership. Uncertainty over PA roadmap.
Metricus Functional Overview
Metricus ServiceNow Customer Profiles
Learn more how Metricus uses predictive analytics to enable ITSM professionals. Visit Metricus Platform Features page.